Energy costs in schools are the second-highest expense after salaries, even exceeding the money spent on supplies and books. Wisconsin K-12 public school facilities spend more than $175 million on energy costs each year. While schools have actively reduced their energy use by 20% since 2006, there is still over $40 million in potential energy savings to be realized with improved technology and new operational strategies.
FOCUS ON ENERGY® provides financial incentives for equipment upgrades that deliver measurable energy and financial savings for school facilities. Focus on Energy’s team of dedicated Energy Advisors are here to help your school achieve its energy-saving potential.
Renew Our Schools Energy Competition
Get your students excited about responsible energy use through Renew our Schools, a five-week energy conservation competition. School teams earn points as students learn key energy concepts and make behavioral changes to reduce energy consumption in their school and community. Top earning schools will be eligible to receive a cash prize to make more permanent conversation-focused changes in their school buildings.
Focus on Energy is partnering with Wisconsin K-12 Energy Education Program (KEEP) to sponsor 12 schools to compete in the Spring 2022 competition.
Competition Dates: January 31- March 11, 2022 and October 3 - November 11, 2022.
Costs: Schools will pay $200 for enrollment which Focus on Energy will reimburse upon completion of the challenge.
Get started today
- Review the Summary of Services and Incentives for Businesses, Equipment Catalogs and the Custom Incentive Guide to determine equipment eligible for incentives.
- Consult your Energy Advisor to identify energy-efficient equipment.
- Work with a Focus on Energy registered Trade Ally. Trade Allies are committed to saving energy and helping your business thrive.
- Review the Energy Efficiency Best Practices Guide for Schools & Government Facilities [PDF] to identify ways to save energy along with a list of Resources for School & Government Facilities [PDF].
- Begin your energy management journey. Download the Energy Team Toolkit for the resources you need to start an energy team at your facility.
Schools across Wisconsin are taking steps to become more energy-efficient and control their energy costs. But don’t take our word for it. Hear directly from customers in these case studies: