Looking to purchase a smart thermostat, but you are worried about installation? Have you already bought a smart thermostat but it is sitting in the box, on the counter, and you're wondering why you even bothered buying it in the first place?
Here are three steps to guide you through the installation process.
1) When selecting a smart thermostat, see if it is compatible with your system. Ecobee, Google Nest, and Honeywell have compatibility checklists to see if your home has the equipment necessary for a smart thermostat. Check out this comparison guide to help you select the right thermostat for your system.
2) Once you have selected a smart thermostat, submit an online application to receive your rebate from Focus on Energy, or see if the FOCUS ON ENERGY® Online Marketplace has the smart thermostat you are looking for and receive an instant discount.
3) Install your smart thermostat. See this installation guide for ecobee, Emerson Sensi, and Google, Nest Smart Thermostats. Below are some additional tips for general installation:
- Turn off your HVAC system which may involve multiple breakers. This is important for your safety as well as protecting your HVAC system.
- Remove the faceplate of the old thermostat. Familiarize yourself with the wiring and take a picture with your phone to have a record of what lines connect to which terminals. It is helpful to label the wires if they are not already labeled.
- Remove the backplate and wires from it.
- Add a C-wire or common wire if your system does not currently have one. Ecobee, Google, and Honeywell make an adapter which may be sold separately. There are also third-party “add a wire” adapters that you can purchase. If you are uncomfortable installing this, a Focus on Energy HVAC Trade Ally or electrician can easily complete this for you.
- Using the new thermostat’s backplate, mark the places where you need to drill holes. Make sure you pull the wires through before attaching the backplate to the wall.
- Reconnect the wires referring to the labels on the wires and photos you took of the old thermostat.
- Install the new faceplate by making sure wires are not in the way and snap it into place.
- Connect to Wi-Fi, answer the questions that pop up, download the companion smartphone app, and save money!