This spooky season beware of energy vampires in your home. They are not thirsty for blood but sucking energy from your electrical outlets and can cause your monthly energy bills to go up without even realizing it!
What are energy vampires?
Energy vampires are common appliances and electronics found throughout your home that continue to draw power from outlets they’re plugged into, even when turned off or idle. Keep an eye out for these familiar energy vampires:
- Computers and computer-related equipment, such as printers and WiFi routers
- TVs (the larger the screen, the more energy used!)
- Cable or satellite TV boxes
- Small kitchen appliances, such as microwaves, toasters, and coffee machines
- DVD/Blu-ray players and video game systems
- Phone chargers and charging stations
How do you identify an energy vampire?
An appliance or electronic is likely sucking more power if it:
- Uses an external power supply
- Requires a remote control
- Is used to charge batteries
- Has a built-in continuous display, such as a clock or light
How can you stop energy vampires from wasting energy in your home?
Fear not! FOCUS ON ENERGY® provides the resources you need to slay energy vampires for good. Here are a couple of tips and tools to improve your home’s energy efficiency.
- Unplug appliances and electronics when they are not in use.
- Use energy-saving advanced power strips. These turn off energy flow to devices so they don’t keep using energy while they are in standby mode. Plus, they’re available at no cost to eligible Wisconsinites when you order one of our free packs! For more information, check out this video on how to use advanced power strips in your home.
- If possible, place your electronics or appliance in sleep mode. This option is usually available for devices like computers.
- When replacing or buying new devices and appliances, consider purchasing ENERGY STAR® certified products. Check out our Online Marketplace for discounts and deals on ENERGY STAR certified LED lightbulbs and smart thermostats.