When it’s time to service or replace your heating and cooling system, you’ll want a contractor you can trust. Follow these tips to hire a contractor who can provide you with the right solution for your home, quality installation and cash incentives.
- Communicate your needs –– Make note of any uncomfortable rooms and other issues you’re experiencing and discuss them with potential contractors. This will help them better understand your heating and cooling needs upfront.
- Ask for referrals and references –– Asking your friends, neighbors and co-workers for contractor referrals is a great place to start. See what contractors they’ve worked with and if they had a positive experience. You can also look into local trade organizations for members in your area and see if they’re in our Trade Ally network.
- Find cash incentives –– When you work with a FOCUS ON ENERGY® Trade Ally contractor, you can receive cash incentives to lower the cost of qualified heating and cooling upgrades. Trade Allies prioritize energy-efficient solutions to bring out the best in your home and can help you through the incentive process.
- Expect an evaluation –– Potential contractors should spend a good amount of time looking at your home and inspecting your current system to assess your needs. They should base the size of your heating and cooling system on the size of your house, level of insulation and windows. A thorough contractor will also inspect your duct system for air leaks and insulation, and measure airflow to make sure it meets manufacturer specifications.
- Get written estimates –– As you compare contractor bids, make sure you have itemized written estimates. This allows you to compare project costs, energy efficiency and warranties. The lowest price may not always be the best deal if another contractor offers a more efficient solution with incentives and greater energy savings.
Ready to start your search? Find a Trade Ally contractor in your area.